Friday, October 25, 2013

Using Super Capacitors

The length of wire from my charge controller and trailer batteries to the truck meant my large 150 amp hour battery in the truck was not getting charged. After sitting in the wilderness a week or so, starting my truck is impossible without running my generator for several hours.

I ordered six 2.5 volt 350 Farad super capacitors and boxed them as shown with 2x4 wood blocks. I connected them in series with solid 12 gauge copper wire.

These capacitors are about the size of a D cell but they pack a wallop!

I took them to the truck and connected jumper cables to the positive (+) and negative (-). I turned the key to crank the engine. The added energy actually started my 866 cubic inch in line six cylinder Detroit diesel!

I completed the circuit by adding diodes for balancing and reverse polarity protection and installed this permanently in the truck.

No comments:

Post a Comment